Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Chart: Why the GOP's Gas Price Attack on Obama Is BS

Chart: Why the GOP's Gas Price Attack on Obama Is BS: "Driving back from the mountains this past weekend, I commented to my wife how unusual it seemed that we weren't hearing too much public bitching about $4-a-gallon gasoline, because that's what it costs right now in California. But I spoke too soon. When we returned home, there was the Sunday New York Times with an A1 story on exactly that, describing how the GOP leadership planned to attack Obama on the issue, blaming him for high gasoline prices.

This is the sort of well-worn populist trick that gets people riled up even when there's no substance to it. I created the chart above using an Energy Information Administration data set on weekly retail gasoline prices (excluding taxes) in selected countries. I used premium unleaded because the numbers were more complete...."

2 comments:

MotivatedinOhio said...

It is a right wing BS that isn't true, and Fox plays 24/7.  They didn't go nuts when gas was so high under Bush.

Underground Politics said...

That's what I was thinking. People want to blame Obama for it but I'm not even sure if there is much he can do.