Friday, December 9, 2011

It's My Fault Because I Had a Drink? How Being Sexually Assaulted Introduced Me to Victim-Blaming Culture

It's My Fault Because I Had a Drink? How Being Sexually Assaulted Introduced Me to Victim-Blaming Culture: "When I was sexually assaulted and mugged last month, I was abruptly introduced to the culture of victim blaming — from the police, and even my family and friends.

I rarely think of myself as a victim. When I’ve faced challenges in my life, I’ve tried to avoid the word, thinking it sounded self-pitying and indulgent.

But all that changed when I was sexually assaulted and mugged last month and was abruptly introduced to the culture of victim blaming.

I've seen some strange things during the five years I've lived in New York. I’ve seen a woman throwing a man’s clothes out of their fifth-floor window onto the street. I’ve witnessed half-nude men and women doing unmentionable things on street corners. I’ve watched people fight in public and make up moments later. But I’ve never had anything truly strange or dangerous happen to me until the night I was mugged...."

Blaming the victim is one of the most infuriating things for me. How about we blame the rapists themselves for not being able to control themselves! Stuff like this just shows how little we care about the victims of a brutal crime.

2 comments:

MotivatedinOhio said...

Blaming the victim is making a comeback, how sick.

Underground Politics said...

It's making a huge one. It's really pissing me off. I hope that there's a lot more SlutWalks next year to help raise awareness on this very important issue.